Sunday, June 9, 2013


Here we go with another new technique!
This week I started my first Wilton Cake Decorating class. It's something I've been wanting to do since I started, but winning my kit on Instragram really pushed me to finally sign up. And I'm so happy I did! I had my first of four classes on Monday and I've already learned so much and met some new ladies! While in class, I was talking to one of the woman about the Frozen Buttercream Transfer that I did last year. The Wilton instructor was very interested and we started discussing how she does just about the same thing, expect with royal icing. So I figured I'd give it a try!

Coloring page and royal icing ready to go.

I've never made of used royal icing so this was a whole new technique for me. I had an order to complete this weekend for a "Tangled" cake so I figured there was no better time than the present! I taped it to a cutting board and then taped wax paper over it. I mixed all my colors before hand and had all the tips I thought I'd need by my side. 

Mid-way through

Just like the Frozen Buttercream Transfer, I traced the coloring page and filled it in with frosting. I tried to blend the frosting the best I could. 

Finished product.

Once the entire coloring page was covered I used my finger to press down the icing so it would squeeze together and fill any air holes I may have left. Next, I placed it somewhere high so it would harden overnight. (Our cats seem to eat everything and anything they can get their paws on)

The scariest part of all!

The next morning, I checked the icing and it was as hard and I thought it would get. I did simple decorating on the cake so it wouldn't take away from the detail on Rapunzel. Now comes the part that makes my heart race, flipping my masterpiece onto the cake! I cut the wax paper off the cutting board and held it upside-down over the cake. I slowly pulled the wax paper from her head down as I placed her onto the cake. I did so well... Until I got to her dress and the weight became too much. She cracked!

She cracked :(

The drama queen that I am, freaked out and wanted to throw the whole cake across the room. Luckily I've got a calm mom, who told me to get my junk together and fix it - Thanks Mommy! I did simple swirls on the side to cover my terrible crumb icing coat. (I'm hoping Wilton teaches me how to do it better!) Although it didn't end up as great and detailed as my original, I'm pretty happy with the end result.

Tangled cake.

 In the future, I will make sure to coat the whole "topper" with more royal icing and let it sit longer to harden. I think if it was thicker, it would've held up much easier.


Check back at the end of the month for a flower pot full of sunflower cupcakes!

Happy June!

No comments:

Post a Comment