Monday, January 7, 2013

Mickey Mouse

Happy 2nd Birthday C!


My favorite little boy turned 2 this weekend! 
I did my first character cake for him last year, Pooh Bear!


As usual with character cakes, I started with a detailed cake mold.



Next, I free-handed the outline of Mickey Mouse. 

Frosting tip! 
Chocolate frosting makes the best black. Mix in coloring and put in fridge for a few minutes.


I started filling in the black with the #16 tip. I followed with the yellow, also using the #16 star.


Next came the white because I had to wait for the red to get it's color.

Frosting tip! 
To make white frosting red, start with pink. Mix the pink completely and put in the fridge for a few minutes. Then add the red coloring and leave in the fridge for at least 20 minutes. You may need to add more red food coloring and put in the fridge again. The red will become more vibrant with more time in the fridge. This is not a color to be rushed! :)


 Once the red was ready, I used the #16 to fill in his pants and tongue. I finished the white on the top before I started Mickey's face. I used very little "cooper" color to make the color for his face.


I added solid circles using the #3 and stars using #16 just to add a little detail to the boring white around the cake. 




This is a result of not covering my board with aluminum foil. ALWAYS cover your boards so this doesn't happen. By the time I brought it to the party, I was soaked all the way around, as you can see in other photos.



No comments:

Post a Comment